Terms and Conditions Kids on the Costa
Writing Competition 2017 #inspiringcostakids
26th May 2017.
- This competition is organised by Sharon House Publishing Ltd (UK Registered company 4840060) in conjunction with Kids on the Costa SL and Marbella Life Style Rtv.
- Entry to this competition is open to persons who will be aged between 9 and 13 years 11 months on the 31st August 2017. Please note any child who reaches the age of 14 during the competition open period will be deemed ineligible. Entrants must be residents of the Costa del Sol temporary or permanent (including Gibraltar). Children or close relatives of Kids on the Costa magazines, employees of the Marbella Life Style Rtv, Sharon House Publishing, or the children or close relatives of any person closely connected with the competition are not eligible for entry. Proof of age, identity and eligibility may be requested.
- Entrants must write (please note entries to be hand written) a short story based on one of the extracts provided (no more than 800 words in length and minimum 500, not including the introduction paragraph). Entries should be submitted by scanning and sending to [email protected] or by mail to: Kids on the Costa SL, C/ Adelfa del Sauce 217, Arroyo de la Miel, 29631 Benalmadena, Malaga. Please clearly label as Costa Kids Writing Competition.
Entrants are asked to design and attach their own cover sheet, but it must include the following; –
- Your full name, date of birth, address and a contact number.
- The name of your school
- The title of your story
- A word count.
All stories should be submitted in English.
An adult will be required to approve the entry and agree to these Terms and Conditions on behalf of the entrant. The adult may be the child’s parent, guardian or teacher. The adult must provide their own contact and personal details (not the child’s). Kids, get your adult to put their details at the end of your story so they don’t spoil the design of your cover sheet.
The personal data provided will be used for the purposes of administering the competition only and will be destroyed following the announcement of the competition winners.
- Entry opens on Friday 26th May 2017 at 08:00. Entry closes on Thursday 31st August 2017 at 19:00. Submissions received outside of this time frame will not be considered, so please do not wait until the last minute to send your entry.
- Entries must be by one child and not a collaboration, so sorry kids. No teamwork! Only one entry per person will be allowed. Unfortunately, it will not be possible to give feedback or contact unsuccessful entrants.
- Entries must be an original piece of fiction and not an account of a real event or people. As the stories will be published it is important that entrants do not include any personal details about themselves. The entrant must not include their name in the title or body of the story; entries which do contain this information may be removed from the competition.
- All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. We accept no responsibility if entrants ignore these Terms and Conditions and entrants agree to indemnify all parties against any claim by any third party from any breach of these Terms and Conditions.
- Entries must not contain defamatory, obscene, offensive, or any other unsuitable material. Entries must be suitable to be broadcast, published or used online for audiences of all ages, but in particular for a child audience.
- Entrants retain the copyright in their entries but grant to Sharon House Publishing Ltd, Kids on the Costa SL and Marbella Life Style Rtv a perpetual non-exclusive royalty-free licence to publish, broadcast (across all media) and post the entry online and on any other platforms yet to be envisaged. This licence will be deemed to include all the necessary rights and permissions to enable such use by the above named parties, to fulfil the prizes and to complete the administration of this competition.
- By submitting a story the entrant agrees that the above-named parties may at their sole discretion edit, adapt, abridge or translate the entry for the purposes listed in clause 10 above.
- Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
– Language & Dialogue
– Presentation & Enjoyment
- The first stage will be judged by professionals (teachers, librarians, writers etc.) details of which will be announced later. No Judge will be asked to review more than 50 entries. Where a judge is a teacher at a school or educational facility they will not be permitted to judge any of the stories submitted from their location. A short list will then be compiled based on the above criteria and submitted for final review by a panel created from one representative from each of the organising companies involved.
- The entries from the finalists will be invited to read their stories on Marbella Life Style Rtv and discuss the inspiration behind their story.
- Prizes will be awarded to the finalists, (1st 2nd & 3rd) taken from each category on the shortlist, at a venue to be announced later in the competition.
9 -12 (11 years 11 months)
12-14 (13 years 11 months)
1st Prize for each category will be an iPad for the older kids and a Kindle Fire HD10 and kindle £50 Voucher for the younger age group.
2nd Prize for each category will be awarded.
3rd Prize for each category will be awarded.
Other prizes will be listed separately in the next few days.
Winners will be notified week commencing 6th November and invited to Marbella Life Style Rtv – Avenida Ricardo Soriano, Plaza Marques de Salamanca, 29602 Marbella, at a date to be arranged. Any travel or accommodation required to attend the station is not covered by the competition organisers.
- Sharon House Publishing Ltd reserves the right to disqualify any entry which breaches any of these Terms and Conditions, or to withhold a prize if in its opinion entries do not reach the required standard.
- Sharon House Publishing Ltd reserves the right to amend these Terms and Conditions or cancel this competition at any stage, if deemed necessary in its opinion, or if circumstances arise outside of its control.
- Sharon House Publishing Ltd, its sub-contractors, subsidiaries, agencies and/or any other organisation associated with this competition cannot accept any responsibility whatsoever for any technical failure or malfunction or any other problem with any server, Internet access, system or otherwise which may result in any entry being lost or not properly registered or recorded. Proof of sending is not proof of receipt.